Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Day 75 (20 August): Lots of Driving

I spent most of the day today driving as I expect to for a large portion of my time on New Zealand's South Island as its know for its scenery and scenic drives. Today I spent most of my time on the way to my first jumping off point which is in the South-West of the Island, Te Anu, the gateway to NZ's Fjordland National Park. On the way from Christchurch (the Island's biggest city with around 300,000 people) I drove down along the West Coast and turned Westward at Dunedin (the Island's secon larest city. Along the way I stopped at various lookouts (including one where there were supposed to be pengiuns that I couldn't find) and took short walks as well.

Observations:
1) There are 10 times more sheep in New Zealand than people. (There are only 4 Million people.)
2) Rugby is huge here. The only times I saw people other than inside gas stations and small places that I stopped for food they were outside playing rugby. Otherwise I heard about Rugby on the radio (when I got reception.)
3) Farming in NZ. It is not machine farming like in the US, but is locally done and the farms are small. Mostly, farmers tend sheep, but deer for venision meat is also popular. Next most popular but pretty far back was cattle, closely followed by Alpaca and Emu.
4) College traditions. They exist everywhere. I was driving in the opposite direction of 'Grand Prix' day for Otago University in Dunedin. The kids there paint things over beat up vans and race them up to Chirstchurch.
5) Maori (or Pacific Islanders that were first to settle New Zealand) have blended into the paheka (or white population.) I met a guy today who looked completely white (almost albino) who told me two of his grandparents were Maori. Maori genes must not be that strong.
6) Buying and renting cars in NZ is very cheap. I am paying less than USD 25 per day. Prices for used cars that don't look that old or in that bad of shape are as low as USD 3000.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home