Thursday, July 21, 2005

Day 40 ( 16 July): Bollywood

I waited around for my Bollywood connection this morning. Unfortunately, he called to say that the star actor was sick so I would have to wait until tomorrow for the role. (I already had plans to leave Mumbai tomorrow though, so it looks like no Indian film career for me.)

Shortly after the call, I met Jorge, who arrived from Dubai and we did some sightseeing the rest of the afternoon. We saw the Prince of Wales Museum, the local shopping district called Crawford Market, and the more upscale Colaba Causeway shops.

In the evening we met some random kids from Goa (where we were planning on going the next day) and got dinner with them and then went to see a Bollywood film, called Dus, in the theaters since my acting experience didn't pan out.

Poverty observation:
1) Jorge's comments:
a) "I grew up in Tijuana, so I thought I knew what poverty was, but man if Tijuana is the third world, this place must be the fifth world, I'm scared."
b) "I have never felt to arrogant to be a Mexican before, I can only imagine what this would be like if you came from some place that was rich."

Other/economic observations:
1) The Quality of the Prince of Wales Museum was quite low, but it only cost 2 Rs to get in wioth a student ID or about 8 cents. I think the Smithsonian has taken much of India's good Hindu sculptures and pieces and put them in the Sackler Gallery in DC. Other richer countries have probably done the same as well. That said, India's better museums are supposed to be in Delhi and Calcutta
2) Haircuts on the street. People were getting these in Crawford Market which had to be one of the dirtiest places I've seen with flies swarming all over the fruit, vegetables and meat sold at some counters, but not at others. These are probably really cheap though. I do need a haircut again soon, but might just wait till I am in Malaysia.
3) Kids like sharks. Jorge bought some mango chips at the market that he didn't like. He decided he'd give them to the next kid who came begging to him. When he did it was shocking how quickly the kid he gave them to was pounced upon by other kids that were also hungry and wanted some food. Their behavior was like something you'd see on the Discovery Channel's Animal Planet.
4) Travel within India. I knew India was big, but when arranging onward travel realized how big. Also because it is Monsoon Season and non-tourist season, flight schedules are reduced which means that I am not going to be able to get to some of the places I wanted to and thought I could get to within India. It is also amazing how slow the travel agent was to arrange tickets as it took about five hours to schedule eight flights and two trains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home